Powered By Blogger

Saturday, April 12, 2014

04.12

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.


Hello my dear readers.  This week has brought things to my attention.  A fond farewell, a replacement, a new show I came across and a little personal observation/story are the focus of this weeks blog.  Get your drink and lets start this thing.






A month or so ago, I was relieved to finally get Jay Leno off my television show.  I have never been a Jay Leno fan at all.  I found him boring, unfunny and a jerk.  I was however disgusted to hear his replacement would be the equally boring and overrated Jimmy Fallon.  I would continue to watch the Late Show with David Letterman because the Tonight Show was proven to be irrelevant to me.

Imagine my shock when David Letterman said he was going to retire.  My world went in a tizzy.  I wondered who would replace this icon.  Who could possibly helm the Late Show?  Would they continue with items that I loved like Stupid Pet Tricks, Stupid Human Tricks and the Top Ten List?  Would they be funny or would it be another horrible switch like Carson to Leno to Fallon?

It was revealed this week that none other than Stephen Colbert would be taking over the helm of this show.  I can't tell you how relieved I was to hear that this would be the new lead of the Late Show.  He's talented, charming, funny and current.  He will definitely take the Late Show far and beyond the Tonight Show.  I applaud CBS at this hiring.  It is amazing.



 Mickey Rooney 



When you think of classic movie stars, many names come to mind like Mary Pickford, Elizabeth Taylor, Cary Grant, Douglas Fairbanks, Jimmy Stewart, and so on and so forth.  One of the greatest actors was Mickey Rooney.  He starred in amazing films from A Midsummer Night's Dream at 13 to Boys Town opposite Spencer Tracy to Babes in Arms with Judy Garland which he was nominated for Best Actor Oscar to The Black Stallion in 1979 to Night at the Museum with Ben Stiller.  

He wasn't only in great on the screen and stage, but by today's fame whore television standards, he could have had his own reality television program.  He was married eight times and had nine children.  He struggled with alcohol and pills.  He served the military during World War II for two years.  When he returned, he had to file bankruptcy and money trouble and abuse from loved ones allegedly followed him to his last days.

However, I will always remember him as this 5'2" ball of fire that lit up every screen or stage with his performances.  He was brilliant, engaging and energetic in all things he was in.  If you haven't had the chance to see his work, I would recommend seeing any of the below.  


Rest in Peace Puck.


       If we shadows have offended,
    Think but this, and all is mended,
     That you have but slumber'd here
   While these visions did appear.
  And this weak and idle theme,
  No more yielding but a dream, 
 Gentles, do not reprehend:
    if you pardon, we will mend:
    And, as I am an honest Puck, 
   If we have unearned luck
        Now to 'scape the serpent's tongue,
    We will make amends ere long;
 Else the Puck a liar call; 
   So, good night unto you all.
         Give me your hands, if we be friends,
        And Robin shall restore amends.





How about something personal?  I have always wanted to live, work and play in the business of entertainment. I just have never had the discipline or confidence to pursue it. I always wanted to be the lead actor, but most lead actors are a little more fit than I am.  

I was raised in a family that appreciated the performing arts.  My mother has always been a fan of film and television.  She also performed from time to time on stage at community theater productions.  Along with her enjoyment of the stage, she has a knack for drawing and painting.  She's always been very creative and has always encouraged creativity in my siblings and myself.

My twin older brothers have been in some kind of production or creative process for as long as I can remember.  They were both in their high school marching band, high school choir and high school performances.  They went on to college where they continued their theatrical performances, which they may think I was dragged to see these things and, as a spoiled young brat, I may not have show in it, but I really enjoyed it.  One brother went on to be one of the best forensics and debate teacher and the other went on be on of the most creative teacher and directors of High School theatrical productions.

I was raised watching every awards show. I was introduced to documentaries and independent films at a young age.  I was taught how to appreciate all types of music from classical to disco to country to pop and so on.  I was taught to see the beauty in the Nutcracker Suite and Xanadu, which isn't easy.  

With all of this, you may ask why am I not in LA writing the crap we see on television today and in films.  The answer is that I always let other things get in the way of this dream and I never really felt I needed to pursue it.  My mother has always told me that I should be a screen writer because of the imagination I had.  Now that I am getting older, I realize that my mother has been correct on so many levels and I think she was correct with this advice as well.  In fact, my urge to write has been stronger than ever, which is why I blog the ramblings that you read.

Why did my mother think I should write?  I had a very overactive imagination as a child.  I told I think it was my babysitter that my parents were getting divorced several years before they did.  I told someone that my mother had broken both her legs while pregnant and in a flood.  I remember playing with my friends and pretending we were characters from our favorite movies and television shows.  I wrote a silly murder mystery play in Agatha Christie style for a fifth grade writing project where the killer was a mute young man that was being bullied called "Writer's Block".  I also wrote a soap opera to get noticed at my new school when I was thirteen/fourteen and I listed my fellow students as characters like they were actors in a program so they wouldn't think it was about them personally.

My imagination and writing has progressed.  I just need to build my confidence.  I hate to have people read scripts I write because I am never happy with any of them.  I always think I can do better so I never let anyone see them.  However, I am getting to the point where I want someone to look at them and, of course, tell me it is awesome.  Take a drink with me and toast to building confidence.   "Clink"





As I have mentioned many times, my viewing options in Costa Rica are very limited.  I have watched the Irina season of Project Runway three times since I have been here.  I can't see NBC.  The majority of pay channels are in Spanish.  I have a Warner Brothers channel that air reruns of Big Bang Theory, Mom, Two and a Half Men and other shows.  I have a Sony Channel that shows the Voice and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  I also have a channel called AXN which shows Criminal Minds, CSI, CSI:Miami, CSI:New York and Hannibal.  I also have the E Channel.

The E Channel has become my guilty pleasure.  I really enjoy the Fashion Police and Guiliana Rancic on E News.  They also show reruns of Project Runway and Tabitha Takes Over which I like.  However, because there is nothing else on, I get sucked into the Kardashians and other vapid shows that E air.

The latest of these valueless shows is #Rich Kids of Beverly Hills.  These spoiled rotten little young men and women have no talent.  They think they are better than everyone else and like to rub our faces in it.  They are not humble.  They don't care about anyone but themselves.  They blow through money that is not theirs and they act like everything should handed to them and everyone should wait on them hand and foot.  They have little to no redeeming qualities. Every single one of them are a disgrace.  Anyone who likes this show are just a shallow, insipid and vapid as the people on this show.

I don't know why we have to celebrate this kind of behavior by giving them their own show.  E needs to stop taking advice from Ryan Seacrest, the anti-christ., and get some good entertainment shows on their network instead of guilty pleasures like Ryan Seacrest produced shows or horrible things like this Rich Kids of Beverly Hills.  

While we are on the subject, can someone please send Ryan Seacrest back to the fiery pit he came from so he can stop giving us crap like this on television?  Is he trying to bombard us with talentless and worthless individuals so we can forget that he is the King of no talent?  He gave us the Kardashians, Married to Jonas and Shah's of Sunset.  With that kind of resume, you can't convince me that he doesn't have a hand in this #RKOBH show.  It smells like a bag of fiery poo just like all of the other shows he produces.



I drank two full glasses of wine after that rant.  

Almost at the end of the journey, we need to end on something fun.  How about a pic from each of the soon to be released marvel pics and one of Falcon from Captain America: Winter Soldier?  I can't wait for each of them.  








Until next time, may all your drinks be top shelf and stiff.

No comments:

Post a Comment